ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Went to the Rubens exhibition at the National Gallery rather than study yesterday. Not too smart... but needed a bit of a break after finishing my paper. I certainly have a newfound respect for him. His paintings far from being just about fat chicks are quite cerebral. There was an extensive collection of he preparatory sketches on view. Amazing how he was able to integrate ancient sculptures into Christian themed paintings. Likewise, his ability to utilize the works of Michelangelo and Caravaggio. His St. George and the Dragon is the best I've seen. It really captures the romance of the episode, as well as being an excellent portrayal of violent action.

I went to a Harley Street doctor a few weeks ago. I have this eczema that drives me fuckin nuts. Harley Street is famous for some of the most famous doctors in the world. I was encouraged by all the ultra-wealthy Cromwell Road Arabs in his office. It was a bit entertaining to see a bunch of men (their sons?) stepping and fetching for totally veiled women. Of course, they must have been rather demanding, as I was in the waiting room for an hour (I was actually on time!) past my scheduled time before he saw me. This is something one expects from the National Health Service, not a private doctor in the UK.

Un carretero alegre paso. Es la verdad!

Well, I finally got in to see him. And I showed him the utterly ineffective lotion the doctor from the NHS gave me, and he told me.....

Jack shit. "Keep using it" Then he said, "Do you have a lot of stress in your life? This tends to be brough on by stress." Let me tell you what stresses me out, when my fucking skin cracks apart and then disintegrates blood seeps all over. I'm glad he charged me 140 quid to tell me that if I could calm the fuck down, I'd be fine. Snake oil salesman in a 2,000 dollar suit!

I at least would have felt better had I gone to the chinese medicine shop that claims to have been founded in 1669 in Peking and consumed some herb pulled out off an oil topped glass cylinder. Granted it would have probably been a weed out of their backyard, but at least I would have felt like I was getting some therapy for my money. That, or gone to a swami for an Indian head massage. My substantial head needs special care anyway.

My train of thought to posting Wendi Deng in my last entry: Working on my paper, I was writing about Pope Nicholas. I like him despite the fact that he tried to depose St. Photius and told the Byzantine Emperor: "You ceased to be called 'Emperor of the Romans', since the Romans whom you claim to be Emperor of, are in fact according to you barbarians." ouch

In his ideas regarding morality, he was quite like a modern pope though. He was a staunch defender of the institution of marriage. At considerable political risk to himself, he REFUSED to let Lothair (the king of Germany) divorce Theutberga and marry his mistress Waldrada.

While this is very interesting, my main problem was that a famous papal historian believes that in this same source (in an earlier entry for pope Zacharias), the use of the word respublica means that the popes considered Rome independent from Constantinople. This was a problem for me since it contradicts the thesis of my supposedly publishable paper (which hopefully has fewer typos than my blog). In any event, aside from encyclopedic knowledge of medieval history, this guy has EXTENSIVE knowledge of Latin, and probably knows 1,000 instances of the use of the word, and can come up with some arcane reason why this particular declension suggests independence. (The word itself is also used earlier when it was clearly a Byzantine province).

So what to do? Stop working and look in Wikipedia at Pope Nicholas, and then read about marriage, then controversy regarding marriage, then FOX tv, then Rupert Murdoch, then his wife, Wendi Deng. And damn, she IS a bitch.

Can you imagine being a 30 year old woman looking at Murdoch's crusty face everyday? One of their kids is certainly going to be the antichrist.
That just confirms my theory: Any woman will take a re-deal if she thinks she can get a better/more powerful man. Just like one learns in evolutionary theory: Females control evolution in any species by regulating ultimate access to sex. Men have come up with every kind of social structure to circumvent this, but all unsuccessful (ok, maybe the Arabs and Turks come the closest). A female will always choose the most evolutionarily appropriate partner for sex. That means that if a woman cheats on her husband, the new guy is better in some way. A man will cheat based on much broader criteria. And if a woman won't leave her mate, then the suitor is inferior. I could expound at length but I suppose I'll let it drop.

What I learned today: A hat that doesn't cover one's ears can still significantly contribute to overall warmth. And according to a book "39 Things the Government Doesn't Want You to Know," smoking causes colorectal polyps.

I'll send a postcard to anyone who can tell me the Καθαρέβουσα word for πουτάνα. I there has to be something better than an Italian word. It might not exist since Greek women are so wonderful. The ancient Greek is πόρνη ης ἡ. That's not very satisfying either.

14.11.4 orz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home