ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Two weeks and no post! Well, essays and exams. I think I finally have the 8th and 9th century popes on lockdown though. I still have an exam coming up, so posting may continue to be spotty.

My brother and father visited last week. We ate Japanese food on Thanksgiving... that is just the type of "quirky" thing people write in blogs, thinking that other people will find it interesting, but no one gives a fuck. Anyway, it was nice just to be with some family. I would have rather have been full of turkey, yemisi, and wine in Muncie with the whole family together though.

They went to Brussels for a few days... I'm sure waffles and chocolate were consumed in abundance. I would have liked to have joined them...the trappists aren't all available here. I did go with them to St. Albans. It is a surprisingly nice town. Only a 15 min train ride out of town and it feels like rural Surrey. I bet property is sky high. I made my poor dad walk about two miles from the station to the Roman sites. It was really cold... There are some nice excavations though; particularly of an old coliseum/theater. There is also a pretty nice Roman museum dedicated to Verulamium (As the city was known).

It became St. Albans when a guy named Alban allowed a priest to say in his home, and was beheaded for trying to shield him from the authorities. The story goes that he traded clothes with the priest... but didn't everyone wear cassocks then? Anyway, the site became a major site of pilgrimage. A cathedral was built to house the shrine that housed the relics. The venerable Bede reports that miracles were still occuring among those who came to venerate the saint. Of course, Henry VIII had the shrine smashed. I was temporarily duped because the shrine has been rebuilt...though minus the relics which were lost. Maybe that is why my eczema wasn't healed. That aside, it is nice to follow in the footsteps of thousands of ones spiritual forebears.

The modern cathedral is pretty impressive architecturally. There is a central tower built by the Normans out of the bricks from the Roman wall. It also contains some 800 year-old painted wood ceilings. Overall, the Norman and gothic styles blend together rather well...

There is also an 800 year old pub there that has pretty good meat pies... Ye Olde Fighting Cocks...

I was sad to see my dad and brother go....

...I learned this week, that if you do something nice for someone, you might end up the victim of a hate crime....


...isn't this about the most evil bitch you've ever seen in your life? I mean there are gold diggers, but she has to be the prime example of evolution providing females with sex as the ultimate weapon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home