ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

******At the end of Bethnal Green Road, there is a Chinese noodle bar and a Korean deli where I intend to eat. However, on the way there is an Italian restaurant called E. Pellucci's. It is dirt cheap and smells like a Greek kitchen even from outside. I never manage to walk past it to the other two places without stopping to eat. Maybe there is a deeper message in that.

It is kind of funny... There are 3 guys and a girl working in there, all looking like they could be related to me. "Una Faccia, Una Razza" after all. But when they open their mouths, it is with the strongest cockney accent imaginable! You'd expect Fagin and Billy Sykes to come running out of the back room. Instead, after you place your order (I usually get pasta and a prosciutto sandwich...when they have prosciutto), the youngest waiter with the oiled hair and open shirt yells toward the kitchen.. "HEY MAMA, PASTA AL PESTO!" I've never seen the woman, but I picture her looking very much like my grandmother....

The place has been there about 100 years... same Italians? There is a very discolored framed handkerchief on the wall that proudly proclaims that Pellucci was the caterer in Bethnal Green for the Queen's coronation in 1953. I have no idea what that means.

There is a nice wooden nativity in the window...which reminds me of the good parts of Christmas...and only makes it all the more comfortable.

??/??/? Esas quien he olvidado. 0rz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home