ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Today is Twelfth Night, ie the end of the Christmas season in the West. One would think that it would be possible, nay certain, that one would be able to see a production of Twelfth Night in London on this day. One would be very wrong. I was very much prepared to go to the theatre... but luckly, I didn't shower before searching extensively online for said production, which was not to be found.

What is wrong with these Brits? It's bad enough that they've totally displaced themselves from their culural roots, but they can't even keep up appearances. Granted, I don't know what goes on in Staffordshire during the Christmas season, but it is A Very Superficial Christmas Special here in London.

I noticed that there were no old Brits out on New Year's Eve. The only elderly people I saw were from the subcontinent. Allow me to speculate as to the reason for this.

Perhaps people from the subcontinent still know how to celebrate communally. Perhaps they don't look at celebrations as a time for individualistic self-indulgence (ok I DO overuse that term). If the old people are participating in a society's celebrations, then the young people have to behave in such a way that that they don't embarass themselves. The eyes of tradition are upon them

Is it the case here that old people don't feel welcome because the young people don't want their style to be cramped? The elderly can be just as festive as anyone. They certainly looked as happy as anyone to be out. There were old sikhs and even some old muslims out on the streets... participating. But I didn't see any vomit spewing from a grey beard onto the sidewalk.

??.??.? Sina classica 0rz

1 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Omar said…

    AK
    That is a pretty good list. We can get together and ride motorcycles. You on your Vespa, me on my Honda Razz! Neither of us is cool enough to actually ride a Harley or crotch rocket. I will be a dentist to the stars. They may be local celebrities like the school board president, athletic director, and captain of the football team. Tell me what Pacha is like if you ever go. I have a sweater you can borrow to wear there! I got housed the other night, as my tall good looking friend from Santa Barbara got her number. Correction, she came up and gave him her number!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home